Friday, November 21, 2008

Tragedy in a small town

My small town woke up to some terrible news this morning. A local business/home caught fire in the middle of the night, and only 1 out of the 4 people who lived there made it out alive. This was a couple who were trying to make things happen for them. They opened a Mexican food take out out of their home. They made wonderful breakfast burritos in the morning, plus recently had started making homemade donuts in the morning. They had started this business from scratch and had quite a following. This last year they had purchased our movie theater which had been closed. The movie is about all there is to do for kids in our town. They opened it back up and started showing movies, matinees, and good food.

This couple had a son who was a junior in High School, and the grandma lived their also. The grandma made it out alive.

Our local fire department is volunteer only, these couragous men have full lives, but have to fight fires on their own time without pay. I commend them, they did what they could in the middle of the night in 24 degree temperature with a terrible wind.

What a tragedy!


dkuroiwa said...

I talked to mom a bit this morning and she told me about this....I was so shocked!! They were such nice people...I met Pam (?) last summer and she was always so incredibly nice to us when we went in there...and their Mexican food was awesome!!! I wonder if they will ever find out what happened...Mom said that almost everything is completely gone.
How terribly sad.

Munchkins and Music said...

That is so sad. Sorry to hear this.

Janet said...

Oh, how sad...I'm sorry to hear about this.